• question-icon

Does Flomaxtra or Temazepam cause insomnia when diagnosed with an enlarged prostate?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jun 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have asked you questions before.I have an enlarged prostrate and have had 3 uti in 2years.I am taking a medication called flomaxtra.I suffer from insomnia which seems to get worse when I take this medication.I take temazapan to help me sleep.Does this medication cause insomnia and could I take an alternative such as medipress.Would Hiprex help.Does the medication hipex cause burning in the urinary tract because it is acidic.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to evaluate your enlarged prostate in detail.

Detailed Answer:

Repeated episodes of UTI in a elderly male is majority of cases is due to Enlarged prostate per say.

Regarding your problem of insomnia, it is incomplete emptying of bladder during urination which is the prime factor that leads to Nocturia making the patient to wake up 3-4 times during sleep causing insomnia. The drug that you have been using to get sleep do not cause insomnia rather they are being prescribed to induce sleep.

Hiprex is an antibiotic being prescribed for UTI as a specific antibiotic and will not help to resolve problem of insomnia.

I would suggest you to consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis with specific mention of Post Void Residual urine (PVR)
3) Serum PSA.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks and Regards,
Dr. P. T. Patil
Urologist
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 10 minutes later
I did see a urologist 18 months ago who did those tests and a cystoscopy.All was normal.my question was whether flomaxtra caused the insomnia not the sleeping medication.If it does is an alternative such as minipress an option
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Flomaxtra does not cause insomnia

Detailed Answer:

Flomaxtra has selective action on alpha one adrenergic receptors and helps to relax smooth muscles in prostate and bladder neck and helps to improve urine flow .It is not known to cause insomnia.

Minipress is a Prazosin and has similar mode of action hence can be taken as an alternative to Flomaxtra.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thanks and Regards,
Dr. P. T. Patil
Urologist
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist