What causes itching on the buttocks while on Hiprex?

Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I am on Hiprex as preventative for frequent UTI's. I have developed a very itchy bottom. Don't know if it is a yeast infection or could be caused by something else. The area is very red and is driving me crazy. I also use compound estrogen cream because the estrogen cream co-pay was more expensive than the compound. I've used vagisil for over a week and it calms it for a short while. What do I need to do?
Answered by Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be like worm infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hello...
Thanks for asking HealthcareMagic,

I guess your concern is itching at the bottom, along with the redness.

Your description suits more likely to be a problem of worm infection. For this de-worming is needed.

Advice-
1. Take Tablet Levocetirizine 5mg once daily if itching is very much severe and uncontrollable.
2. Visit a nearby physician for de-worming treatment.
3. Continue your Hiprex and Vagisil medicines, it has nothing to do with the newly developed health concerns.

Feel free to ask any further queries.
Get well soon.
Dr Sudha Rani Panagar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 2 hours later
How in the world could I have gotten a worm infection, and what kind of worm would this be? I have good hygiene. The only thing I can think of is that I've been on warm pool therapy at a medical therapy center for my back for the last three weeks. When I come out of the pool, I shower off using dial antibacterial soap and wash my bottom with it as well. Could I be having a reaction to the chlorine and other chemicals in the pool?
Answered by Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Problems could be- more likely due to worm infection and less likely due to chlorine reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

The information shared from you suits to the diagnosis of worm infection. Worms can enter into human body mostly through food, or through skin. Somehow, there may be worm entry into your body and now infection has happened.

Anti-bacterial soaps aren't effective against these.

Regarding your doubt about chlorine or other chemical reactions, while in pool whole part of your body is exposed to chemicals. So, if at all reaction occurs it would've occurred all over the body. But, in your case its localized to bottom only.

So, in my opinion, it's more of worm infection and not chemical reaction.

Advice:
Visit a nearby physician for a thorough check-up as soon as possible.

Get well soon
Dr.Sudha Rani Panagar