Does Dilantin interact with Phenytoin?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: right now i'm on phenytoin sod ext 100 mg 6 aday. i was told by a specialist that i should be taking dilantin but i can't find dilantin i always get the phenytoin. how do i get the dilantin and what are the different kinds or are there different kinds. i don't have epilepsy but i have grand maul seizures. i've had mri's and ct scans and no one knows what's wrong. i've been having seizures for 4 years after a bad car accident and a few concusions.

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dilantin is brand name of phenytoin

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.

Very sorry to hear about your seizures .If EEG is okay and MRI and CT also do not show anything you could have had a diffuse axonal injury during your accident. Unfortunately that can't be picked up on the scans .
It must have been mild hence there is no other issue apart from seizures and again unfortunately it is not reversible.
As regards to phenytoin. Dilantin is nothing but phenytoin. It is the brand name of phenytoin.

Don't worry and take phenytoin.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj