question-icon

Do you think I should be taking medication? I do

Posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2019
Question: Do you think I should be taking medication? I do not feel lethargic. I bike about 25 km a day.

My TSH is 6.16

thanks
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
About tSH level;

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for asking!
The upper normal range of TSH for people over 65 years old is 6 4 mui/ml.
So yours is considered within the normal ranges.
Anyway, for TSH levels up to 10 mui/ml, treatment is recommended only if symptoms of hypothyroidism are present.
So keep monitoring the TSh every 6 months and start treatment when it is over 10 mui/ ml or for vaules between 6.4-10 mui/ml if symptoms of hypothyroidism are present (weight hain, low heart rate, dry skin, constipation, feeling sleepy, high cholesterol ect).
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist