Do medications for diabetes need to be changed based on the attached reports?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Hi Doctor,
my mother 67 years of age is diabetic and is also having hypertension. she is taking amaryl 1 and glycomate 500 for diabetes but at times she skips. also she is taking medicine for blood pressure. recently I have done her diabetes screening done and enclosed report. can you suggest if treatment is fine.or we need to change medicine. at times in morning her diabetes level reduces to 80.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HbA1c of 9.89 denote poor blood sugar control.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

Went through your mother's test results.
Though fasting blood sugar level appear to be within acceptable limit, HbA1c denotes poor blood sugar control.
Considering intermittent low blood sugar level (hypoglycemia) there is a need to change the medicines.
Skipping medicines is not advisable.

Also lipid profile is not within limit need medicine for that.

Better to consult her treating doctor for medicines and dose adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Abhay A Mali 51 minutes later
she is not consulting any doctor nowadays.can you suggest medicine for bad lipid profile ?
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Statins- Atorvastatin or Rosuvastatin.

Detailed Answer:
In such a case I may suggest Tablet containing Rosuvastatin 10mg at bed time.