Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Do i need to be treated for UTI after having sex with a person who has UTI?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9351 Questions
My boyfriend of just a few weeks was recently seen for his first UTI. We engaged in sexual activity twice in two days after he was abstinent for over three years and before that with the same partner for 20 years. He suggested I go to the doctor to be treated. I know I do not have a UTI. I have no symptoms. Should I go to doctor and can we continue to engage in sexual activity. He is currently on antibiotics.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query. Detailed Answer: Well ,UTI in not the same as STD and uti is not sexually transmissed. This is infection of urinary tract usually with E.coli. It is more common in female. If this is his first UTI then he should have antibiotic course and there is no need for you to get tested. If this happens again,he should do more detailed urologic work up to rule out some underlying cause such as prostate enlargement or kidney stone. YOu can engage in sexual activity. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor