Do bad cold and cough, high fever and body ache in elderly require immediate attention?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Jul 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: my husband is 87 and generally in pretty good health. But he has had a cold bad cough low fever for 3 days and now I have just taken his temp and it is 102 and he is coughing badly and aching all over. He had the flu vaccine. It is now midnight ;and I am not sure how urgent this is and what to do. (He is a doctor!)
The medications he is on now are Plaquenil, Flomax Simvastatin , Volaren and medication for Reflux
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
antihistamines and nebulizer with steroids

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern

According to the history it might be a viral situation.

Usually we recommend to take paracetamol and liquids in such conditions. If you have nebulizer he can do it with steroids like Clenil.And he can take antihistamines orally one tb if you have at home (desloratadine )

If he feels breathlessness than probably the medical help is needed in ER.If not than no worries it will pass after 3-5 days.

Hope to have been helpful

Regards and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 39 minutes later
Thank you for your answer it is helpful. I did not add that he is having frequent urination which is difficult to control.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Unfortunately there is nothing to do at home for the urination to control.The medical help is needed fo this.

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana