question-icon

Do antibiotics influence the result of a blood test for IgG, IgA, gamma globulin and M protein?

Posted on Fri, 12 Oct 2018
Question: Hi! I'm supposed to go for blood testing for igg, iga, gamma globulin, m-protein soon. But I have an upper respiratory infection that i am just starting antibiotics for. Will the infection and the antibiotics affect the results of the blood tests. Will they make any of these markers go up or down? Should i put the blood tests off for a month?
Answered by Dr. Dr. Esmeralda Sera (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Immunoglobulins.

Detailed Answer:

IgA, IgG, and IgM are measured together. That way, they can give doctors important information about immune system functioning, especially relating to infection or autoimmune disease.

Due to this fact, it’s better to have the exams after the antibiotics for your respiratory infection, because you may have false results like the increasing count of immunoglobulins.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Esmeralda Sera,
Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist