Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Noticed clear urine. What does this mean?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Question: Hi
I am a 47 year old male. I was diagnosed with Diabete Type 2 about 5 months ago. I have recently notice that my urine has been very clear. What does this mean?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 minutes later

In diabetes it is very common for one to have Polydipsia (excess thirst) and Polyuria (excess urination). Since there is increase intake of water, urine remains much diluted than normal. Hence it appears much clearer.

This does not cause any complication and the urine gains normal color once the sugar levels are balanced by medications. But again, do not consider urine color as an indicator of your blood sugar control. It is always better to have a proper blood check up for it.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do ask doubts, if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan