Diagnosed with lazy eye. Using eye glasses for blurred vision. Looking for safe remedy

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My daughter’s left eye is always blurry. She now has eye glasses to help correct her left eye and she has to patch the left eye. What is disturbing and I am very worried about is that she has episodes that last a few minutes to hours where she sees everything up close (only from left eye. Right eye is not affected). She is 11 years old and this has been going on for 2 years. Doctors only diagnosed her having lazy eye. She misses a lot of school because of her episodes. (I call them episodes) I need a doctor to help her. She had blood work and a mri. The results were normal. Maybe the doctors overlooked something?? She is very slim too.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for sending your query to us.
The mode of management in such cases is patching the right eye,the better eye.Then all the load is on left eye starts to improve.With good treatment the best speed of recovery is about one line on the reading chart every 6 weeks.
Your child has been diagnosed in the XXXXXXX of time because as the age advances the the speed of recovery slows down.
Things have to be managed properly in consultation with the orthoptist so that studies are not affected.
Look after her diet so that weakness is taken care of.
please do get back to me in case of any further query you may have in this regard.