Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with Zoons Balanitis. Should I go for circumcision and biopsy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
HI I am from Calcutta I have been diagnosed with Zoons Balanitis in slightly upper portion of glans penis.The Urologist who saw me recommended an incision & biopsy of the affected portion on the skin.I would like to know wether this circumcision & biopsy should be done by a Urologist Surgeon or by General Surgeon.
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Preferably by a Urologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Zoon's disease is actually a pathological diagnosis, meaning the specimen that is excised is sent for reporting of histopathological status, and only then labelled depending on what the pathologist finds. ideally this should be done by someone who handles these cases on a regular basis, and therefore if you know a general surgeon who has such volumes, you can consult him. If not, a better option would be a Urologist who usually see cases of balanitis more frequently. I also suggest you consult a good dermatologist with the final report, as sometimes you may need additional treatment with lasers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor