Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Diabetics and diagnosed with enlarged heart. Thumb is painful spreading to arms and shoulder. Cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I have type 2 diabetes and have been diagnosed with an enlarged heart.
For For about two months or so my right thumb has been quite painful and can get stuck at times
About two weeks ago, I woke upo in middle of the night with the pain in my thumb traveling up my right arm and into my shoulder. The only relief I was able to get was sitting up in bed and raising my right arm into the air.
Should I be even more concerned then I already am about what is causing this ?.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 5 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail.
From the history that you have given, the pain appears to be of musculo-skeletal origin and there is nothing to worry about. Ischemic heart disease causes pain mostly on left side, but there are instances when it has caused pain in right side as well. However the pain doesnt subside on moving your thumb up in the air as in your case and hence you can be assured that the pain is not of ischemic origin.
You still need to have a good control of your blood pressure.
You should get a blood calcium evaluated. Sometimes hypocalcemia may present with such kinds of pains.
You may like to change your posture of work and sitting and start sleeping on a hard surface for a few days.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor