Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Developed chronic and constant cough. Do smoking. Getting weird palpitation. What is it?

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6486 Questions
Hi, in the last two years I have developed a chronic and constant cough which is worse with activity. I smoke between 5-10 cigarettes a day and am forever trying to quit. I noticed that I had weird pulses through my chest when I ate chocolate, but in the last two weeks it happens everytime I do leglifts (pretty much my only excercise). It can last a few minutes to hours at a time. It is hard to explain, but it is like my heart beats a few times in one part of my chest, then another, then another...very strange. No idea if that is what is called a palpitation. I would truely appreciate your advice. A
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You are suffering from chronic bronchitis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You are suffering from chronic bronchitis and this is due to your smoking habit. Now,you should seriously think about quitting smoking.You can also take help from psychologist in quitting addiction.You can quit by strong determination and it is necessary for you otherwise lung functions will deteriorate with time. For chronic bronchitis,you need antibiotics,inhalers to reduce inflammation in airways. You need proper clinical examination and investigations for your cardiac problem. Palpitation is a sensation in which a person is aware of an irregular, hard, or rapid heart beat. In most of the cases it is normal,but you you need screening to detect any abnormality. You need routine hemogram,RBS,Lipid profile,LFT,RFT,ultrasound of abdomen,ECG in all leads,chest X-ray (PA view),Pulmonary function test,Thyroid profile,Sputum culture,other tests can be done if needed. These tests will detect the cause of your problem. Proper treatment can be done after clinical examination and investigations. You should consult pulmonologist and cardiologist. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor