Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Dependent on Alprazolam and Zollfresh for sleep. How to get rid of this?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I have been taking 0.5mg Alprazolam(Alprax) and 5mg Zollfresh alternatively every night but not during weekends ,for 2 months.Now I am unable to sleep without any of themCan you suggest a remedy ,please
Posted Tue, 12 Jun 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
 You have developed dependence for alprax and zolefresh.
 The best option for you is to exercise sleep hygiene precautions viz no tea, coffee, chocolate etc after fiver pm, regular exercise programme, stress relievers like yoga and meditation, comfortable noise free sleeping environment, going to bed by 11 pm.
 If you have problem getting into sleep try not to think about your sleep or any day to day problems.
Change your sleep environment / room among 
 Also take Tab Zolfresh 5 mg at 10:30 pm daily night for two weeks and then reduce to 2.5  mg daily night for another two weeks.
Then reduce your dose to half again for two weeks and then start using it alternate days for two weeks.
This way you shall be able to come out of addiction for these sleeping pills.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Dependent on Alprazolam and Zollfresh for sleep. How to get rid of this? 3 hours later
I have not been taking them continuously.Also I have been taking Alprax on alternate days.What about Alprax?Can you prescribe a third drug which is less habit forming ?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
You stop taking alprax and instead take only zolefresh regularly as 5 mg daily for two weeks and subsequently,the way I have described you earlier.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor