Continuous body pain and back pain. Have vitamin D deficiency. Taking Cholecalciferol. Side effect?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello Dr.,
I am suffering from randomized body pain, particularly lower back pain for last 3 months. I consulted one ortho., he got my Vit D3 levels checked n found my body deficient. He suggested me to have Cholecalciferol XXXXXXX D-360 with milk once a week and get exposed to plenty of sunlight which I am following religiously. Since I did not find much relief in pain, I consulted another ortho., he got my other tests done, like Uric Acid, RA Arithritis, Calcium and Digital X-rays of DL Spine & LS Spine. After examining the reports, along with suggestions advised by former ortho., he advised me to have Calcium (with Vit-D ) tablets OSTOCAL-D twice daily after meals. He stressed that I should have ample amount of milk and milk-products. Additionally, he suggested three simple exercises for lower back.
To XXXXXXX my Vit D3 & Calcium deficiency, I googled and found some natural sources like seasame, carrots, dry plum, etc and started having them for last 15 days. Someone suggested me to have pinch of turmeric mixed with glass of milk, I started having it for last 20 days or so. For last 7 days or so, I have found that my BP level has risen to 135/90 (normally it remains 115/70 or so). However, I never took track of it but on ad-hoc basis it always remained within normal limits earlier (around 4 months back or so) but for last 10 days (or since when I have been keeping track of it) it is fairly towards upper side particularly diastolic range which I have heard is harmful, kindly advise.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 hours later
Since you have very low vitamin D3 levels, you need to take a XXXXXXX of vitamin D with milk or curd once a week for 8 weeks and then once a month. Each XXXXXXX contains 60,000 IU of vitamin D. Taking a Vitamin D 3 enriched calcium tablet will not help you much. The rise in blood pressure that you are having is not likely to be related to the deficiency. It is more likely to be related to anxiety due to the ongoing treatment.
You can consult a physician for a detailed evaluation and to find out the causative factors of raised blood pressure.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.