Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Complain of recurrent fever, high hemoglobin level and high hematocrit. Takes amlor. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1038 Questions
My father 50 years old. Complain of recurrent fever, high hemoglobin level, high hematocrit even after blood donation, feels electric in body . He takes amolr once daily . Can answer at any time
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query

It would have been easier to comment if you had stated the values of the hemoglobin and his various temperatures when he had the fevers.

However, a common mechanism of high hemoglobin or hematocrit is reduce oxygen supply to tissues. This can be caused by various conditions including;
-heart disease such as heart chronic heart failure,
-lung disease such chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, smoking etc
-living in high altitudes
-drugs such as erythropoietin which is given in people with chronic kidney disease
A high hemoglobin value could also be obtained in people with bone marrow dysfunction (which is a malignancy) which leads to excess production of red blood cells at the expense of other cells and the body at large. This reduces immunity and opens the way for infections leading to recurrent fevers.

Not sure of what you mean by " feels electric in body" nor what amolr is. However, taking amolr to be amlor (assuming a mis-spelling), then the electric your father complains of could be due to dizziness or palpitations which are side effects of amlodipine (amlodipine is the active ingredient of amlor and is used to treat hypertension).

If the amlor is what he is taking, then it is likely that he is hypertensive and other complications such as heart failure have to be excluded.

You should forward his blood pressure readings, hemoglobin values and various temperature readings when he had the fevers if available in a bit to be specific. If not available, it would be better to XXXXXXX an internist for detail examination including cardiovascular and respiratory examination and for tests such as full blood count, blood smear, ECG, liver function tests, kidney function tests, respiratory function tests etc

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to answer.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor