Child woke up shaking, terrified, incoherent and then vomiting. What is the disease?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hi, Merry Christmas. My 6 year old son just went through losing his dad (didn't really mourn) and before that a mean nanny, and before that our divorce. He has now for the 3rd time in one month woke up shaking, terrified, incoherent and then vomitting. After its done, he cannot recall anything. What is that?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Salaam aleykum.
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I can understand what your son must be passing through!
The symptoms you describe may be due to two conditions.
1- epilepsy - the typical attack can have the symptoms you describe.
He should be seen by a pediatric neurologist or pediatrician and an EEG done as also MRI brain ( of course MRI is to be decided after examination).
Before attributing to other reasons ,we have to rule out epilepsy!

2- the second possibility is psychological trauma, night mares,
- this is diagnosed after ruling out physical illness like epilepsy.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 6 hours later
I would like to ask if they can also be Night Terrors. I read about them and they are different from nightmares, caused by stress, happen during the XXXXXXX cycle of sleep and exhibit the same symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 17 minutes later
Yes
They occur during particular phase of sleep cycle.-eyes open.inconsolable some times- confused-have some EEG abnrmality-
There are some criteria to diagnose about 6-7 points called DSM criteria.
That is why I feel both organic disorder and the other ConditionsĀ must beĀ  thought of in your child.
The normal behaviour in between episodes may be a point in favour of epilepsy.

Take care Dr Uma