Child with squint eye. What is the treatment?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: My grandson has a habit of looking sideways. This does not happen all the time and there appears to be no reason for this, it seems to happen when he is walking or running past straight lines, i.e. in the library, past walls etc., although I have on odd occasions noticed him doing this whilst sitting. This times don't last for long but it is very disconcerting when I see it happening and I know my daughter worries so much about this. In all other aspects he is a healthy, bright and we think intelligent happy little 26 month old boy. We first noticed this happening when he started crawling, he was however late in crawling because he used to bottom shuffle his way around and he didn't walk on his own until he was 21 months old and since then he tends to run everywhere. When I see this strange eye behaviour happening I try to distract him. Should we be doing this or is there a more serious underlying problem going on here. I try not to make too much of it with my daughter because she is worrying so much.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 9 hours later
Hi,welcome to XXXXXXX

I think you have to consult 2 doctors

1- a pediatric ophthalmologist to assess him for squint ,lateral rectus palsy, and refraction errors which all can cause the above mentioned problems.

2 - a pediatric neurologist if not seen earlier as the child had definitely delayed milestones ( thank God he started walking and now running but be sure so that your daughter may not feel bad later !)

They will decide whether a MRI is needed for him.

I very well understand the mother's anxiety, and may be she will
feel better when the doubts are clarified .!!

Good luck

God bless

Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply. Should my daughter have to get a referral from her health visitor or through her Doctor to see a paediatric opthalmologist and paediatric neurologist.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 minutes later

I find from your IP address that you are from UK!
You have to follow the routine in your country as per the health care rules.
I think that you have to go to her GP who can give referrals to the specialists.

Good luck
Dr Uma