Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Child with squint eye. What is the treatment?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 891 Questions
My grandson has a habit of looking sideways. This does not happen all the time and there appears to be no reason for this, it seems to happen when he is walking or running past straight lines, i.e. in the library, past walls etc., although I have on odd occasions noticed him doing this whilst sitting. This times don't last for long but it is very disconcerting when I see it happening and I know my daughter worries so much about this. In all other aspects he is a healthy, bright and we think intelligent happy little 26 month old boy. We first noticed this happening when he started crawling, he was however late in crawling because he used to bottom shuffle his way around and he didn't walk on his own until he was 21 months old and since then he tends to run everywhere. When I see this strange eye behaviour happening I try to distract him. Should we be doing this or is there a more serious underlying problem going on here. I try not to make too much of it with my daughter because she is worrying so much.
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 9 hours later
Hi,welcome to XXXXXXX

I think you have to consult 2 doctors

1- a pediatric ophthalmologist to assess him for squint ,lateral rectus palsy, and refraction errors which all can cause the above mentioned problems.

2 - a pediatric neurologist if not seen earlier as the child had definitely delayed milestones ( thank God he started walking and now running but be sure so that your daughter may not feel bad later !)

They will decide whether a MRI is needed for him.

I very well understand the mother's anxiety, and may be she will
feel better when the doubts are clarified .!!

Good luck

God bless

Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child with squint eye. What is the treatment? 7 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply. Should my daughter have to get a referral from her health visitor or through her Doctor to see a paediatric opthalmologist and paediatric neurologist.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 minutes later

I find from your IP address that you are from UK!
You have to follow the routine in your country as per the health care rules.
I think that you have to go to her GP who can give referrals to the specialists.

Good luck
Take care
Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor