Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Child suffering from asthma and advised to use budecort inhaler. How long should I use the inhaler?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 784 Questions
hi sir my son is two and half years old and one month back my son having cough problem after diagnose by my doctor that he suffering from asthma after examined his chest X-Ray and doctor advice us inhaler Budecort and Asthalin three time in day two puff each with LC-KID syrup . We want to know how long we can use this inhaler without any side effect and please conform chest X-Ray is sufficient for conformation of asthma .
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: diagnosis is on symptoms and PFT, Safe to use Detailed Answer: Hello, making a diagnosis of asthma in a young child is not easy As your son is 2.5 years age, doing a pulmonary function test will be difficult and diagnosis is based of symptoms. Usually doctor suspecting asthma in such a young child follows a wait and watch policy and keeps the child under observation with regular visits. A look at a chest Xray in a 2.5 yrs child is not going to make a diagnosis of asthma. Your doctor also must have made the diagnosis based on symptoms. Inhaler is a very safe method of treatment even in young children and the use can be done under paediatrician's guidance for as long long as the symptoms are there and can be repeated during subsequent attacks. In case the problem is continuous, a long term use is required and is perfectly safe under doctors guidance. Many a times, as the child grows, the symptoms disappear and the child becomes alright and the need for inhalers go. So, please relax and remain on follow up with your paediatrician and let him/her observe the symptoms on long term basis. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor