Child suffering from asthma and advised to use budecort inhaler. How long should I use the inhaler?

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: hi sir my son is two and half years old and one month back my son having cough problem after diagnose by my doctor that he suffering from asthma after examined his chest X-Ray and doctor advice us inhaler Budecort and Asthalin three time in day two puff each with LC-KID syrup . We want to know how long we can use this inhaler without any side effect and please conform chest X-Ray is sufficient for conformation of asthma .
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: diagnosis is on symptoms and PFT, Safe to use Detailed Answer: Hello, making a diagnosis of asthma in a young child is not easy As your son is 2.5 years age, doing a pulmonary function test will be difficult and diagnosis is based of symptoms. Usually doctor suspecting asthma in such a young child follows a wait and watch policy and keeps the child under observation with regular visits. A look at a chest Xray in a 2.5 yrs child is not going to make a diagnosis of asthma. Your doctor also must have made the diagnosis based on symptoms. Inhaler is a very safe method of treatment even in young children and the use can be done under paediatrician's guidance for as long long as the symptoms are there and can be repeated during subsequent attacks. In case the problem is continuous, a long term use is required and is perfectly safe under doctors guidance. Many a times, as the child grows, the symptoms disappear and the child becomes alright and the need for inhalers go. So, please relax and remain on follow up with your paediatrician and let him/her observe the symptoms on long term basis. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj