Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Child have soreness in rib cage, pain getting to shoulder and ribs hurts with breathing. What to do?

Answered by
Dr. E Venkata Ramana


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 3176 Questions

Posted on Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Question: My daughter complained of soreness in her lower left rib cage about a week ago, as if it were bruised. Pain spread to her left shoulder after a day or so and has gotten progressively worse each day. Now her rib hurts when she breathes and her shoulder hurts if she moves, even just sitting or lying down. Pain is off and on; she says it gets better and then gets a lot worse and then better and then worse again. What should we do?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Child needs clinical examination and tests.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before advising you about the child pain, I need some details.

Was there any history of trauma or injury to her chest in the form of hit or fall?

Did she have similar complaints in the past?

Is she having cough, fever, respiratory difficulty at present?

Is she sitting or sleeping in abnormal positions?

I need the above information to correlate the cause of soreness to trauma related musculoskeletal injury or underlying organs like lung, pleural pathology.

Sitting or sleeping in abnormal postures will lead to soreness of muscles and bones due to strain.

With the provided complaints, it is looking like the pain is originating from the musculoskeletal part of the left sided rib cage of chest.

But physical examination followed by investigations such as chest X XXXXXXX and ultrasound of chest and upper abdomen will rule out any significant problem of XXXXXXX organs.

Hence I advise you to consult the pediatrician for physical examination and investigations to look for the cause for pain and its treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know along the details I have asked.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Musculoskeletal inflammation/injury

doctor1 MD

my right upper side of my chest and arm have this weird tingling feeling when I move. It is mostly on my right upper side of my right breast. are...

doctor1 MD

For the last week I've had a pain in my back on the right hand side just under my rib cage it has moved to also include tenderness in the right gad...

doctor1 MD

Pain shoulder blade and front of xhest , noshirt of breath nothing makes it better. I thiught i was having heartvattack bit its been over hour ....

doctor1 MD

I was working on a chemical tanker lately, we carried halogenated hydrocarbons, gasoline. In the post service medical LFT my Function test results...

doctor1 MD

i was in a rugby tournament today and got tackled and landed with my chest onto the ball, i played through it the hole day but when i walk and move...

doctor1 MD

Hi,dear dr. I m ruijina.I got chronic pain under and around my left side rib.It cause back pain too. the pain felt like three degree out of ten. In...

doctor1 MD

Had colonoscopy two days ago. I am having really severe aches and cramps in my lumbar area. How do I know if this is just trapped gas or something...