Child has respiratory problems. Getting shortness of breath after playing. What is it?

Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: HI My son is 2 and half years.. He is respiratory problems...from last 4 to 5 days in evening after playing he starts getting problme of short breath...i wana know what best can be done at that moment to get him to normal.He also has atopic dermatities.
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Atopy with possible asthma Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, Welcome to Healthcare Magic. Your son has atopic dermatitis and is now getting exercise induced shortness of breath that is a sign of airway hyperreactivity which can progress to asthma. It is quite difficult to diagnose asthma in young children with formal pulmonary (lung) function tests, although non-invasive quick tests such as FeNO (fractional expired NO) measurements are available at select centres to see how controlled is the asthma. He needs good control of the atopic dermatitis with steroid creams, mositurisers, soap substitutes and treatment of the airways as well. A good combination is a steroid inhaler like Budacort 100 2 puffs twice daily with Montelukast 4mg at night (available in granule form). If he has blocked nose, or recurrent sneezing attacks with red eyes, he has rhinitis too that will need treatment with Fluticasone nasal spray. Tests such as Total IgE, Specific IgE Asthma (or wheeze) panel will prove helpful to know the extent of allergies or the type of allergies he has at this stage. A complete review of the results and discussion on how to continue treatment and follow up interval visits will be required at your local Allergy & Asthma centre. Best Wishes.