Child had a knock on head. Diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrom. Getting headaches and nose bleed. Normal?

Dr. Visvanathan K

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 31 May 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: my son had a knock to the head playing rugby almost a week ago, he has been diagnosed with Post Concussion Syndrom. He keeps getting headaches, which we expected, but today had a nose bleed, and still has a headache...is this normal? what should we do?
Answered by Dr. Visvanathan K 36 minutes later

Post-concussion syndrome can last for a long time. It can present with a multitude of symptoms including headaches, giddiness etc. A nosebleed can occur if retained blood comes out through the nose. However, if it is fresh bleeding, you will need to contact a doctor to see if there is no ongoing bleeding.

Hope this helps.