Child exposed to smoke. Will this have any effect on growth? Should I consult a doctor?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: We just realised 4 days ago during a bbq my 12 year old son was exposed to the smoke through an accidently open window whilst playing video games. He said he eventually found the smoke too thick and quit playing. He told us this 2 days after the event. He's a very fit kid and seems fine although he did mention a bit of a headache the day after the event which I blamed on a bit of sniffle which he had before hand. Would oxygen treatment be any use days after the event? Also can this effect his growth?Should we see a doctor? Regards,XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Thank you for your query,
The XXXXXXX component of smoke exposure is asphyxia due to inhalation. Carbon monoxide poisoning presents immediately with headache, agitation, confusion in mild cases to altered sensorium in severe exposure.Hyperbaric oxygen is immediately given to replace the carbon monoxide from hemoglobin and it is effective when it started as early as possible.
As your child quit the smoke area immediately and didnt have any ealry neurological manifestations the carbon monoxide inhalation in toxic dosage is least likely. And at present of after one day of event oxygen therapy is not required.
This smoke cannot effect your child growth.
Consult your doctor for the evaluation of headache and to look into the delayed effects of smoke exposure which are rare possibility.
Hope i have answred your queries,
I wish your child good health,
Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response. I do feel a bit relieved although I'm still a little concerned because I don't know exactly how long he was in the smoke effected room. He was too busy playing playstation to remember how long he was exposed to the smoke but didn't suffer from a cough or sore throat afterwards. He no longer has a headache and seems normal. Is it possible his hemoglobin system is effected somewhat from this amount of smoke exposure even though he didn't look physically distressed?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 hours later

I am so happy to hear that your child is normal; that there is no headache at present and no cough or sore throat.

If significant proportion of hemoglobin is affected usually there will be physical distress like agitation, confusion and impaired judgement. Since your son had no such early symptoms, there is no need to be concerned.

In future take precautions to prevent this sort of domestic accidents.

I wish you and your child good health. Let me know if I can assist you further.
If all your concerns are addressed, please close this discussion. Your reviews about this service are appreciated.

Thank you

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Thanks Doc, you've been very helpful..
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 4 minutes later
You are welcome,
And thank you very much for your appreciation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan