Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Child allergic to dust and milk. Noticed swelling on lips and penis shaft. Given allegra. Any advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 1975 Questions
My son is 8yrs old wt.30 kg and is allergic to dust,cotton and moderate allergic to milk,soya XXXXXXX etc.his total ige is 97.78 and c1 esterase is 247.from past 2 months he is getting swelling either on lips,ears,eye,penis shaft or itching.pediatrician has prescribed allegra 60mg we have to stop milk intake totally.should we consult an allergist?
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

I have gone through the details provided. Since he is allergic to various items, it is important to conduct allergy testing by skin tests. That can identify the substances to which your son is allergic.

The features you have mentioned indicates that your child is having chronic allergy. Important step in treatment of allergy is to avoid the allergen (Substance causing allergy). After identification of the allergen by skin test, an effort should be made to avoid contact with the allergen.

In case of milk allergy, first make sure if the allergy is to milk. If it is so, then he may have to completely stop taking milk. So it will be better for you consult an allergist for allergy testing and plan for desensitization by suitable vaccines.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can help you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor