How can allergy to cow's milk be treated?

Posted on Thu, 14 Sep 2017 in Child Health
Question: my 1year old son seems to have cow milk allergy. he devlops mild red spot on his chin whenever he eats buscuits or any other product which contains milk. but when he drink milk he devlops sweeling eyes &start itching.
how can i confirm whether he is allergic or not.

further, can I give him milk mixed with water in 1:10 ratio in order to devlope his resistance power?
is there any side effects of this experiment
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Refrain from giving even a diluted version of cow milk

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns.

Strict avoidance of cow milk protein is recommended in case of cow milk allergy and therefore I would insist you to refrain from trying 1:10 dilution. A positive test for Cow milk protein–specific IgE can help in confirmation of whether your son has cow milk allergy.

I would suggest you to go through the following academic literature:
"Diagnostic Approach and Management of Cow’s-Milk Protein Allergy in Infants and Children: ESPGHAN GI Committee Practical Guidelines" (search online, you will get the paper)

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician