Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Cant open mouth for food. Diagnosed with parkinsons. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5138 Questions
hi Doctor,

my mother is 76 and is diagnosed as a parkinson patient. She is now bedridden . She is now unable to open her mouth for tasking in food. What can I do .
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

Since when is your mother not able to open her mouth ?

Are her hands and lower limbs more stiff than ever ?

Does she have any seizures ?

The difficulty in opening mouth could be attributed to severe mouth tremors which tightens the mouth muscles and makes it difficult to open.

It is possible that the medication effect may be wearing down due to various reasons. Sometimes the Levodopa drug effect can experience 'On and Off' phenomenon where the drug effect will be good and then low because of fluctuating drug levels. She may need another additional medicine like Ropinirole to prevent this phenomenon.

For now, she will need a stomach tube which will go from her mouth to her stomach. This can be bought from a Pharmacy called Ryle's tube. It can be inserted by a Doctor at any Clinic or Hospital and semi-solid food by grinding in mixer can be given through the tube as long as the jaw tightness lasts. But before that, kindly wait for a few hours to see if she is improving. If not, kindly take her to the Doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor