Can the reduction in Wellbutrin dosage cause severe dizziness, headache and body tremors?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I have been on wellbrutrin for 5 months it gave me side stiches so I am trying to wean off of it. I have been cutting back from 150mg for 3 wks, suddenly I experienced severe dizziness, headaches, shakes, went to primary care doctor, was told it was vertigo, need second opinion
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to relapse of anxiety

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. Wellbutrin is Bupropion and the drug is a good anti depressant and anti anxiety drug. The doses of 150 mg are not very high and you have been taking the drug for last 5 months only. Now you have been reducing the dose since last 3 weeks and have dizziness, headaches, shakes etc symptoms.

In my opinion as you have reduced the doses slowly so the chances that these symptoms are due to withdrawal are very low. Other possibility is relapse of anxiety. Reducing the dose might result in relapse of anxiety symptoms. Some times this may present with dizziness, headaches, shakes etc symptoms. So this can be a possible explanation for your symptoms. Medicines like low dose benzodiazepines like Clonazepam, Lorazepam etc can help to reduce the symptoms and you might feel better. You can discuss with your doctor and can take prescription of either of these medicines. If symptoms persist even after that then medicines like SSRIs can be used. Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Escitalopram etc can be used and these medicines will help to decrease the symptoms.

Apart from this as your doctor has said vertigo is one possibility. But that can't be explained by just online history. Evaluation and physical examination is needed to find out exact cause.

Thanks, Hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.