Owl Image

Can taking Lorazepam with Cipralex cause anxiety?

Owl Image
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Question
Hi. I have been taking lorazepam 0.5 in the morning and 0.5 in the evening for anxiety, along with cipralex 10mg, for the almost two months. I take my lorazepam in the morning around 9 o'clock, and in the evening between 20.30 and 21.30. I still feel anxious around the afternoon. Do you think it's because of may anxiety, cipralex not fully working yet or because of inter-dose withdrawal? Thank you!
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
LORAZEPAM is short acting.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

Lorazepam is short acting and if you are seeing afternoon worsening of mood then that is due to its short duration of action. This doesn't mean that Cipralex is not working.

This can be prevented by dividing 0.5 mg morning dose into 0.25 morning and afternoon dose. This will prevent the anxiety worsening.

Thanks and take care

Follow-up: Can taking Lorazepam with Cipralex cause anxiety? 44 minutes later
Hi again, and thank you for answering my question.
1. If i do like this wouldn't this be lowering the amount i take per day? I mean, the anxiety is not always there in the afternoon, and i can manage it.
2. How long does it normally take for cipralex to be fully effective? I did see some improvement in the 2 months but still not fully ok. Is it true that benefits start showing only after the drug reaches platoue plasma level, if so..when does cipralex reach that?

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dose of Escitalopram can be increased.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

If you can manage your anxiety and the afternoon anxiety is not occurring daily then you can think of taking 0.25 mg in morning and keep other
0.25 mg dose to be used in afternoon on SOS basis. This will keep anxiety under control and will also lower the dose of drug.

Cipralex or Escitalopram shows it's full effects in 4-6 weeks. Individuals don't develop tolerance to its effects so stop worrying for that. If your anxiety is not fully controlled then dose can be increased to 15 mg per day. This will help in better anxiety control. The drug is safe to use and doesn't cause dependence.

Thanks and take care

Follow-up: Can taking Lorazepam with Cipralex cause anxiety? 15 hours later
I have decided to give the 10mg dose a full 3 months before deciding with my doctor if i should increase or not.

I also decided to help the pill work and stop feeling sorry for myself and act sick. My doctor said a few weeks ago, maybe the pill is already working but you don't see as you are expecting it to everything for you.

Last time it worked great, I'm sure this time will also work.

Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes the pill will work

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Yes the pill will work definitely. No need to worry.

Thanks and take care