Can Stress Cause Miscarriage?
Can be aggravated by stress.
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
I will briefly let you know what causes could cause the death of the fetus inside the uterus.
1. Birth defects and fetal abnormalities, chromosomal disorders, specially undiagnosed cardiac anomalies might cause sudden fetal death. Also, please note that the double marker as well as the anomaly scan cannot identify 100 % of abnormalities in the baby. A detailed fetal autopsy and examination of the placenta is a must. I hope that was done too after the termination of the pregnancy.
2. Severe growth retardation / oligohydramnios( decreased amount of amniotic fluid around the baby ) - these too can lead to fetal demise. It can be diagnosed by examination by the obstetrician and confirmed by serial ultrasounds and Color Dopplers if required.
3. Maternal diseases such as raised blood pressure, diabetes, renal disease etc - these also can be picked up if she was on regular antenatal check up, and all investigations had been done.
4. Placental bleeding or abruption - Not all bleeding is revealed from the vaginal tract. In abruption, a silent bleed goes on behind the placenta, causing fetal death. In particular, as you mentioned that you were under a lot of stress it can cause an increase in your blood pressure. Trauma is one cause of placenta abruption.
5. Rh blood group incompatibility , thalassemia , certain infections etc like cytomegalovirus, rubella, parvovirus etc cause fetal death in uterus. A detailed fetal autopsy after delivery would reveal the case .
6. Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy - a condition characterized by deranged liver function tests , mild jaundice and itching - is notorious for causing sudden intra uterine death of fetus.
7. Cord accidents - cord prolapse, cord cysts, hematomas, cord entanglements, knots in the cord, and placental abnormalities also cause fetal death. These are also shown on autopsy.
8. Maternal smoking/drinking/consumption of certain drugs/ teratogenic medications - all can cause sudden fetal death.
9. Some rare autoimmune diseases and conditions like antiphospholipid syndrome.
Also sometimes, no known cause can be identified when it is called idiopathic.
The cause can be aggravated by stress and it can be confirmed after a fetal autopsy.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Yes stress could have aggravated the predisposing
Thanks for writing again.
Stress and anxiety alone is not likely to cause the fetal death. But it can aggravate the ongoing process. Let us wait for the autopsy report to find out.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
I am sorry, I would like to ask one last thing before I close the discussion... An opinion on the fibroids. The very large one grew very rapidly in first trimester and the measurement I gave 14cm (it was actually 14cmx9cmx14cm) was at the last known measurement I have at 12 weeks along. It doubled or more in size from before I became pregnant. I looked near full term at 16 weeks. Can that fibroid or both fibroids have been a possible cause for second trimester miscarriage as well? Will the autopsy be able to confirm something if it was? I have been advised to have them removed in case I would like to try for pregnancy in future. Thank you again.
Can be due to fibroids.
The fibroids usually increase in size due to the effect of hormones during pregnancy. The fibroids can cause an abortion but it is more common during the first trimester. Although the cause due to fibroids is difficult to confirm at autopsy it is better to get the fibroids removed before you plan for your next baby.
You are most welcome.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.