Can sinusitis lead to severe ear pain and popping sensations?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello im reaching out to you/this site because i went to a walk in clinic a few weeks ago because i was having some right ear pain. well the doctor looked inside my ear and said it was not infected and the pain was most likely due to sinuses since i had a cold at the time and here i am a few weeks later and now both my ears are achy and hurting. its still mostly my right ear but my left one hurts as well. it's mostly an achy feeling but sometimes sharp pains and also when i swallow my ears pop alot. any advice on what this may be would be greatly appreciated as i don't want to go back to the clinic to walk out with no answers.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Sinusitis, eustachian tube dysfunction, may have an ear infection

Detailed Answer:

You may have sinusitis with eustachian tube dysfunction, an ear infection may also be present as well.

The eustachian tube is a tube that connects the middle ear to the area to the back of the throat. It can behave abnormally in persons with sinusitis or in the cold/ a cough.

It has different functions, if it is not working well then this can cause the popping sensation.

It is treated with the Valsalva manoeuvre which is just a fancy name for the manoeuvre done in the plane when ears feel stuck.

In addition, an antihistamine-decongestant combination needs to be used eg Benadryl D, Allegra D, Zyrtec D, Claritin D.

You may also need a course of antibiotics as well.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
yes this helps greatly! now i have an idea on what to bring up at my doctor visit. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

No problem.

Detailed Answer:

I really hope that you feel better soon

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician