Can radiation and chemotherapy cause sexual dysfunction?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I had contacted you a few weeks ago about no fluids being produced during ejaculation. It has been several more weeks and my wife and I tried again with no results. It has now been 11 weeks since my colorectal surgery. My question is did the radiation and chemo I had on my colorectal area killed my ability to produce any semen and is it permanent? Erection is of lower quality than before surgery as well.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Radiation and Chemo are known to have side effects of sexual dysfunction

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

The sexual dysfunction like loss of erection and dry orgasm are known side effects of Radiation and Chemotherapy and severity and longevity of these side effects entirely depends upon the amount of radiation you have been given and area of pelvis over which it is given.

The causes of these symptoms are
1) Damage or trivial injury to nerves during surgery leading to reduced blood flow to erectile tissue in penis
2) Radiation neuritis causing damage to the nerves to seminal vesicles ,prostate leading to diminished production of semen by these organs
3) Radiation to Testicles causing reduced secretion of Testosterone and sperms
4) Emotional factors and anxiety associated with Cancer

It is very difficult to predict with certainty whether you will regain your ability to ejaculate or not as the process involves many factors .It does recover to some extent after few years in 30-40% of cases .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.