Can prolonged use of earplugs cause morning headache?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: can wearing earplugs every night cause morning headaches?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
earplugs causing headaches

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCMC with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that you are having morning headaches. Your earplugs could be causing them because the ear canal is very sensitive. With wearing the plugs the whole side of your head could be from the pain inside the ear canal. I recommend stop wearing the earplugs and see if the headaches stop. If you need to continue to wear earplugs due to noise I would recommend getting custom fit earplugs. these will cause less pressure in the ear canal and hence less overall pain. You can get custom made earplugs at swim shops or from an ear nose and throat doctor.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions