Can probiotics and other fruits except grapefruit be consumed while on Seroquel?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 5 Nov 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I take 50-100mg of seroquel for insomnia. Is it ok to eat all fruits other than grapefruit? Are probiotics (yogurt) safe ?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
safe to take probiotics and other fruits.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome here.

There are no significant interactions of seroquel with any other fruits except grapefruit.

Probiotics are also safe with seroquel, no significant interactions.

Hope this answers your query.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 11 minutes later
The only thing to avoid is grapefruit?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
avoid only grapefruit.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, only grapefruit should be avoided.

Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 19 minutes later
My dr says bc my only issue is insomnia/anxiety we can try lowering the dose to 50. But is that dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
dose reduction to be done if you feel better.

Detailed Answer:
No.
If your anxiety and insomnia is fine, you should attempt decreasing the dose.

Reducing from 100mg to 75mg can be considered first, keeping in mind the gradual dose reduction strategy.

If you feel fine with it, you can continue the reduced dose.

Please discuss this with your doctor.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 14 hours later
I tried 75mg instead of 100mg last night. It did not work as well. Is this bc I have built up a tolerance or is it bc my anxiety is too much still?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
anxiety is the probable reason.

Detailed Answer:
75mg of seroquel did not work for you.
This suggests that you still have anxiety which needs drug treatment at same dose.

Tolerance is something in which person needs increased dose with time to achieve desired effects.

I feel its not tolerance but anxiety in your case.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 3 hours later
Thanks. My dr says same. He also says no possibility of tolerance/withdrawal from seroquel at this dose. Is that true?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seroquel can cause discontinuation symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Most welcome.

I slightly differ from your doctor.

Seroquel is a non-habbit forming drug.
It does not actually cause tolerance or withdrawal technically.

Increased dose requirements suggests that anxiety is not under control with a particular dose.

And seroquel does cause discontinuation symptoms (commonly called as withdrawal symptoms) if stopped abruptly.

So, I prefer to reduce the dose slowly in my patients who are on seroquel.

Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
What r the discontinuation symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
develop when drug stopped abruptly.

Detailed Answer:
These are symptoms which occur when seroquel is abruptly discontinued.

The common symptoms are
Mood swings,
Restlessness,
Irritability,
Headache,
Sweating,
Insomnia.

That is why the drug is stopped gradually.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Shubham Mehta 2 days later
Is seroquel addictive then? And can a tolerance occur?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Non-habit forming.

Detailed Answer:
No, its not addictive as the discontinuation symptoms for only 5-7 days.

Tolerance does not occur to effects of seroquel. The dose requirements usually do not increase once a person is settled at particular dose.

Thanks.