Can i go for an MRI inspite of having titanium in neck of right femur?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: I have a MRI of my lumbar area scheduled for next week. My question is: because 2 years ago I broke the neck of my right femur. They replaced it with a titanium ball and portion that goes into the femur - is there any danger having an MRI with this metal so close?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Orthopedic implants aren't likely to be a problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir!

I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

There are certain type of implants which pose a serious risk to patients who undergo an MRI.These include patients with pacemakers ,metal implants in brain,ears and eyes.
Most orthopedic implants including hip replacement will not cause problems .They do not pose a safety threat.

The only problem with orthopedic implants during a MRI is that if the MRI is performed to view the area around the implant it can cause unclear images.
In your case the titanium implants are known to cause less MRI artifacts and the MRI is performed in the lumbar area so you don't need to worry about it.

Although your titanium implant is safe for an MRI remember to discuss it with your doctor and make sure the personnel who will handle with MRI knows that fact so they can make sure to get clear images from MRI.

Hope my answer has helped.
Let me know if you have any further question or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati