Can hysterectomy and oophorectomy save ovaries from stage 1 endometrial cancer?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Women's Health
Question: I have been diagnosed with stage 1 endometrical cancer. A hysterectomy and oophorectomy have been recommended by my doctor. Can I save my ovaries? I am 70 yrs old and in very good health with no family history of breast or uterus cancers.
Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, unfortunately, you cannot.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thank you for posting your question in HealthcareMagic.

Since you are 70 years old, I believe, already done with the menopause period. The bilateral oophorectomy is indicated for Endometrial cancer as a step of prophylaxis. It means that you need to remove both of your ovaries, so you cannot save them.

This will not affect you, and it will make you feel safer that cancer will not progress furthermore.

If you have other question, please feel free to post them.

Dr. Eni
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee