question-icon

Can genetic tests detect cystic fibrosis post pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018
Question: I have a cough, sometimes dry, sometimes productive of clear mucus. I also have developed shortness of breath. I can't take a deep breath without coughing. I have never had pneumonia and have had bronchitis less than 5 times in my life. My pancreas and gallbladder are fine. No swelling in my ankles, maybe a very low grade fever on and off. Worsening over last couple weeks. My doctor wants to test me for CF. I had genetic testing done after a pregnancy. Wouldn't it have come up then?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla (13 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

CT result.

Detailed Answer:

I read carefully the history you provide and I have some questions for you such as: what is the chest CT result; have you ever been evaluated for allergy, sinusitis or gastric reflux?

Sometimes one of them might be the cause of a cough.

If the CF genetic test is negative once there is no chance to be positive later on.

If you were my patient I would recommend you to do the above.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Jnikolla, Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist