Can elbow bursitis go away on its own?

Question
Hi My Name is xxxxxx,
I am 59 years old male.
The other day I lifted a heavy object. I didn't feel anything on my elbow at time I lifted. That evening behind my right elbow its swelled. Its been more than a week. I have been taking adwil and the sweling has not come dowen. It feels soft. What Can I do to get rid of the swelling.
Please advise,
Sincerely,
xxxxx

Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Will need Xray and orthopedician review

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history and images you have shared, it can be some sprain in the tendon or some stress fracture in radius and it's better to get an X-ray of elbow and if needed CT or MRI can be more helpful but isn't needed at this stage.

Ice packs and continuing the OTC analgesics like Advil or Ibuprofen will help for pain control however for longer duration acetaminophen is more safer and easy on stomach. An orthopedic review and resting the joint with support and avoidance of lifting heavy wieghts with affected arm is advised. If mobility is restricted, physiotherapy may be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards