Can common colds cause paralysis?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Wed, 25 Jul 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: this is not about me. I am just trying to ease my worry. I ran into a guy today who said he got paralyzed by the common cold. Is that even possible?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Enterovirus is a possibility

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns.

Yes, please note that there is a virus called enterovirus that causes symptoms that start similar to a common cold virus except that it rapidly progress to respiratory irregularities and might cause a temporary paresis or paralysis in one or more limbs...

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 19 minutes later
okay, so it's not exactly that a cold can paralyze you for life. It is this certain enterovirus that causes temporary paralysis? what type of respiratory irregularities do you mean specifically?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Develop rapidly

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, hello again.. respiratory irregularities are due to hypoxia which is accompanied by wheezes, coughing , rapid breathing, rapid heart rate and Pleurodynia which is pleural friction which causes intermittent chest pain usually over the lower part of the rib cage. i hope you find this helpful
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana