Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

130 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can blocked ears lead to vertigo and lightheadedness?

Answered by
Dr. Prasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2005

Answered : 3321 Questions

Posted on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi, I’ve been feeling very light headed and my head has been feeling bad for one month now (on and off.) this whole week has been terrible for me because I am unable to get out of bed without feeling off balance. I went to a neurologist and they told me I have vertigo on my right ear and made me do some excersices but no help. My whole right ear feels blocked and it’s hurting so much but the emergency room doctors told me my ear looks clean. I feel fluids in my ear moving around. I don’t know why I’m feeling so miserable but I’m tired of feeling like this - please help me
17 hours ago     
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 hours later
Brief Answer:

Need ear evaluation.

Detailed Answer:


I am a physician associated with Department of Ear, Nose and Throat for few years. I'll take this opportunity to answer your question.

At the outset, vertigo without nausea/vomiting is less likely from neurological causes. That being said it is important to get brain imaged. It will make sure we don't miss out any intracranial causes. I read you are planned for an MRI scan very soon. Please go ahead with it.

Lightheadedness/imbalance, vertigo, blocked right ear and sensation of fluid in the ear are typical of a middle ear condition. An inflammatory condition of middle ear or a blocked eustachian tube is usually cause.

Unfortunately, without an opportunity to examine the ear thoroughly and without hearing tests, I cannot make a clear judgement.

Therefore in this circumstance, if the brain scan proves nothing abnormal, I will hear to an ENT doctor for clinical examination as well as hearing tests.

In the meanwhile, I will suggest you try steam inhalation. Meclizine available as Antivert tablets thrice daily will reduce the sensation of imbalance.

You can get this prescribed by a doctor. I will also recommend the use of a cold and flu drug. It will add to the treatment of middle ear inflammation.

I wrote this reply after a curbside consultation with ENT surgeon here. If you need clarifications, please feel free to ask.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 8 hours later
I got an mri done and they said there is some pituitary glands bleeding and the right auditory canal there’s a small cyst like thing. They said I need to get another MRI done that focuses on the pituitary gland. They are also checking for thyroid issues. Do you know the names of any ear inflammation because my ear still hurts and the right side of my head too.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Otitis Media - Chronic / Serous

Detailed Answer:


Blocked ear, vertigo, imbalance and fluid sensation are classical presentations of middle ear inflammation that we call otitis media - either serous otitis or acute/chronic otitis.

However, besides middle ear inflammation, the cyst that was reported may also be contributing to your symptoms. I would also ask for an ENT referral.

That being said, yes the main focus will be on the pituitary gland.

It should be explored further by your neurologist. I will wait until the second scan of Pituitary is complete and then we can discuss further.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr Prasad, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on