• question-icon

Can a CT scan detect the growth of a tumor?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Was referred to a Urologist who examined me 2 days ago and did a "scope" up in to my bladder. He showed me on the monitor what we were looking at. Showed me healthy tissue, then showed me the tumor.... Yikes ! He said it was most assuredly cancerous and has arranged for a CT scan and pre-op testing tomorrow. And out patient surgery on Friday, March 25, to "shave" the tumor away and apply a chemo drug to the bladder. It is Mitomycin. Then I will get a "bag" for 3 days until the bladder can heal a bit. Then I don't know what.... they will biopsy the tumor tissue and check for the stage of the tumor. My best hope is that the tumor has not penetrated the wall of the bladder and is contained and can all be cut out and the chemo will kill any remaining cells and prevent new ones from forming.
Will the CT scan tell whether and where else it may have spread to ?? Is there anything else that needs to be done ?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes C.T Scan will detect the tumor extension.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for fresh query .
You have undergone endoscopic examination which revealed a tumour in bladder and your urilogist gas planned for fulguration of tumour and instaliing ntra vesicaal Mitomycin .

The C.T scan will detect extent of the tumor and will help us to know whether tumor has infiltrated outside the bladder wall or not.

Further treatment will be decided on report of histo pathological examination (Biopsy report) and C.T Scan findings.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist