question-icon

Can Zoloft be tapered off after taking it for 12 years?

Posted on Thu, 3 Dec 2020
Question: I have been on zoloft for 12 years 200mg daily for depression. I am wanting to get expert advice on tapering off.Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Taper by 25mg every two weeks.

Detailed Answer:

The tapering of any antidepressant should be done very slowly to prevent discontinuation symptoms.

I would advise you to taper Zoloft by 25mg every two weeks (under your doctor's supervision).
Take plenty of fluids along with that. Take adequate diet, especially green vegetables and salads. You can take tablet paracetamol, if you experience any flu-like symptoms.

Also please be aware about relapse of symptoms of anxiety and depression. In such case, stay on the dose on which you were feeling normal.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist