Can Quetiapine be taken for insomnia while suffering from tinnitus?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: HOW DOES QUETIAPINE FUMARATE INTERACT WITH TINNITUS AND CAN THIS DRUG BE USED FOR THE TREATMENT OF INSOMNIA? ALSO WHAT ARE THE LONG TERM PROBLEMS WITH USING AMBIEN
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Quetiapine does not interact with tinnitus. It is regularly used at low doses, typically 25-200mg at night, to treat insomnia. It is a very good medicine.

an atypical neuroleptic medication such as aripiprazole or lurasidone.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 20 minutes later
WHAT ISNEUROLEPTIC MEDICATION?
IS QUEITIAPINE ADDICTIVE LIKE AMBIEN?
ALSO WHAT ARE THE LONG TERM EFFECTS OF AMBIEN
MY LAST QUESTION IS WHY WOULD MY DOCTOR TELL ME TO USE
PHOSPHATIDYL SERINE?
THANK YOU AND I WILL GIVE YOU A GREAT REVIEW AND USE YOU IN THE FUTURE
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Neuroleptic medication is a class of medications that includes quetiapine.

Quetiapine is NOT addictive.

Long term effects of Ambien include addiction and memory loss.

Phosphatidylserine may reduce the risk of developing dementia.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 19 minutes later
is phosphatidlserine used for insomnia? any side effects?
thank you
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
It is not used for insomnia. No known side effects.