• question-icon

Can Pravastatin cause myositis?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: You recently answered a question for me about my joint health, and indicated that I was suffering from atorvastatin induced myocitis. You suggested that I stop the atorvastatin for a time and change to suvastatin. My cardiologist prescribed pravastatin. Are suvastatin and pravastatin equal in their unliklihood of causing the statin induced myocitiis again, or is suvastatin the best?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pravastatin is safe for the muscles.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for following up with your query

Glad to see that you were able to take the necessary steps for your health concern.

Pravastatin is a safe statin and unlikely to cause statin-induced myositis. In our previous discussion, I had mentioned Rosuvastatin as safe for the muscles.The effects of Rosuvastatin and Pravastatin are similar.
You can safely start Pravastatin and please be advised to take the medication as prescribed by your cardiologist.

Hope I was able to help you
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal