Can Pramipexole cause hallucinations?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi,I have been taking Pramipexole for several years for restless leg. The last couple of months I have been extremely tired,unable to sleep weak,and having hallucinations. What should I do
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

Pramipexole is a dopamine increasing (dopamine agonist) medication. Higher levels of dopamine can be associated with hallucinations. All of the symptoms you listed are known side effects of this medication.

I recommend talking with you prescribing doctor about the symptoms you are having. He/she may will likely want to discontinue this medication or at least cut the dose. Even if he/she wants to discontinue it, be sure to go off of it slowly by cutting the dose first.

I'm sorry you are having this problem. Either the dose has become too much for you, or if you've been taking any additional medications in the last few months, it may have resulted in your body not breaking down as much of it. (This sometimes happens if 2 or more meds are competing for the same break-down enzyme in the liver.)

I hope this bit of information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 25 minutes later
Thank you very much! I will call my Dr. first thing Monday. Should I continue to fake the medicine,until I can see my Dr.? Could I cut back on dosage until Monday?
Thanks again XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
If you can tolerate having these symptoms another day or two, wait until you talk with the doctor on Monday. If you don't think you will be able to tolerate it cutting the dose by half is usually safe to do.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Your welcome. Good luck to you as this gets resolved.

Best regards,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD