Can OCD behaviour be related to bone structure growth at base of skull?
Can a bone structure growth on the base of the skull and another growing behind neck be the proximate cause for obsessive compulsions like hand washing excessively and other like behaviors? The child is 16, a boy and has been suffering from obsessive behavior, mood swing and alike. Or, are these two issues separate matters. It is my best friends son and I am concerned, so doing some research.
Thank you in advance for your insights.
Please attach complete medical and scan reports with history of symptoms
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. Having served at a well known psychiatry research institute as a faculty in radiology, I have seen hundreds of patients like your close friend's son who might be having symptoms of obsessive compulsive behavior, mood disorders and related psychiatric problems.
2. In most cases, these children have a normal brain structure and their symptoms are more of a non organic nature. Few of them might have a structural problem in brain or skull which might be causing their symptoms. Symptoms like obsessive compulsive disorder and mood disorders are usually more commonly seen with conditions involving the frontal and temporal boles in the brain.
3. If there is any such bone growth that might cause a pressure effect on the brain structures or cause abnormal electrical discharge inside the brain then your best friend's son might be required to be investigated in greater detail. Any history of partial or complete seizures in the past is also important and requires evaluation.
4. These abnormalities are more likely responsible for such behavioral change if they are located intracranially or within the head. I have seen quite a handful of children having abnormalities in brain and skull leading to psychiatric symptoms.
5. I am unable to completely understand your words "bone structure growth on the base of the skull and another growing behind neck" and request for more information on the precise location and medical findings relating to the bone abnormalities mentioned by you.
In this regard, I would like to see the brain scan and other medical reports with clinical history of symptoms and then discuss the problem in more detail. Once you do that then please send a follow up query and I will proceed with an appropriate analysis of the problem.
Welcome and thanks for sending in your query
Thanks for your feedback and good wishes, I am really touched by your kind words.
Hope the child makes a quick recovery.
I pray for your healthy and long life and that of your family and close friends.
If you have any health related queries and wish to have it answered by me then please quote "query Id 190367 Kind attn Dr.Vivek Chail" in your query and the moderators will direct the query to me. I will reply back at the earliest.