Can Neopeptine drops be given to an infant?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Sat, 1 Oct 2016 in Child Health
Question: My 3 months old boy who is on formula feed has colic pain for which i give colic aid on sos basis. But this only reduces the pain not eliminates the cause of colic pain. I got to know that this is due to constipation, gas and indigestion. So i started giving neopeptine 6 drops on sos basis. However colic pain keeps coming often. Should i give neopeptine 6 drops two times a day for a week or so? And colicaid on sos basis? Need your best suggestions. Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may give neopeptine drops for a week

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Neopeptine drop contains Amylase and pepsin.Both these are enzymes and help in decreasing flatulence and thus related colic.
It is safe and can be given two times a day for a week or so.
The cause of colic in infants is not very well known.But it has been seen more in formula fed and cow milk fed babies.
I suggest you to burp the baby after feeds as burping properly after each feed is necessary to avoid flatulence.
Colicaid contains simethicon which also helps in expelling the gases and thus relieves colic.
Mechanism of action of enzymes (amylase/pepsin) and simethicon is different so you may also give colicaid on SOS basis.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more queries.