Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Can I increase height with HGH injections? Thyroid results are normal.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
hi i'm 23 and i want to increase my height with HGH injections as i noticed i'm growing taller but at a very low rate,my current height is 5'5" and i'm male,there are taller people in our family and i also calculated my genetic height which is at-least 5'7",
please guide me what to do,whom to consult and i'm not at all satisfied with my current height and what will be the cost for HGH injections
My thyroid results are also normal i.e i don't have any thyroid problem,i was about to start bodybuilding and i heard that weight lifting might inhibit my bone growth by closing/fusing growth plates if excessive weight is used so i'm consulting you to know my chances of getting taller by using HGH injections before starting body building
i'm also having a good nutritional diet
My hands and feet are very big compared to my overall size(My foot size is about 10 inches and it is unusual for a 5'5" person i think so) and i'm not fat my weight is around 65kilos
This is my last hope as i can never think of growing tall after 23 or 24 years
i have also consulted a local physician and discussed this topic but he discouraged me by saying that Indian average is 5'5" but i'm not satisfied with that answer by him
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

By the age of 21 years the epiphyseal ends of the bone fuse with the bones and no further growth takes place. There is not going to be any effect of HGH injections at this stage. Your local physician was absolutely right when he advised you against it.

The final height depends on a number of factors apart from the genetic make-up. Hence you need to accept what nature has provided and enjoy it.

You mentioned that your hands and feet are big compared to your overall size. Such a condition is known as acromegaly which happens if the HGH is high in the body and happens after fusion of the epiphyses. I suggest that you get your growth hormone levels measured to rule out this condition.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Can I increase height with HGH injections? Thyroid results are normal. 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply,
I have also mentioned that I have noticed a slight increase in my height for the past few months as of now I was close to 5'6" but 6 months earlier my height was exactly 5'5" and I'm pretty sure that it is not the difference that we get before and after night sleep, my growth is very slow instead and
one more important thing is that my beard and mustache both are at a very starting stage I have not even shaved or trimmed once in my entire life by know all my friend's already shaved their beard's more than 100 times and I don't have a beard at all ,I can only see very small hair in starting stage but i do have fully grown public hair(not arm pits)does this have any thing to do with puberty delay and will it have an affect on my height in future or not

I have also reviewed the acromegaly condition and my hands and feet are not that hugely deformed as in that condition they are simply big but you might also be correct
I read in many article's that some people can grow up to an age of 25( male)
What should I do to verify whether or not epiphyseal ends are fused with bones or not and also about the acromegaly condition please suggest the methods/tests to verifiy these conditions

I also want to know the price of HGH injections course as it is bugging me since two years no one gave an answer.if complicated please give in detail.In our area we don't even have access to tHGH injections and I thought this might be the reason why my loacal physician didn't suggested them

I have never stopped growing only the growth is slow, is this a special case? even though you gave your answer I can't agree as beard and mustache are also rlated to puberty like height growth, ofcourse you did not know about my beard delay in previous information given by me
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for the update.

First of all let me assure you that all your queries shall be replied. As no mention of the secondary sex characteristics was there in the initial post it was presumed that they were normal.

As you mention that there is scanty growth in the arm pits and beard area which needs to be evaluated. My suggestion would be that you get yourself examined by an endocrinologist who shall take various measurements and do investigations to know the levels of various hormones in your body. This shall then answer virtually all your queries.

I will not comment on your gain in height till it is measured by the same person with the same equipment. An occasional case can increase in height beyond the age of 25 years but that is an exception rather than a rule.

The verification of the fusion of the epiphyseal ends can be done by x-ray examination of the long bones. If you consult an endocrinologist then this work up shall also be done.

HGH injection is available in Delhi but not over the counter to prevent its misuse. It is only given if indicated.

I hope I have clearly answered all your queries paragraph wise to your satisfaction.

Wishing you all the best.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor