Can HSV-1 be contracted through oral sex?

Question
So I have HSV1. I have had it for years. My boyfriend also has HSV1. He has had it since childhood. I performed oral sex on him yesterday ( with no symptoms of an outbreak about to occur). The. Later that night, I threw up and I am feeling sick today. I also noticed this morning, a tingling sensation on my lip. I know the signs of an outbreak, so I took my antiviral medication. My question is, could I possibly spread HSV1 to my boyfriend's penis bc I performed oral on him yesterday? Are we immune to getting it in other areas bc we already have the antibodies built up in our own body systems? We have both been tested for STDs. Everything came back negative, except of course the antibodies for HSV1.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Eni 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you could've spread HSV1 to him

Detailed Answer:
Dear young lady,

HSV 1 is a virus that once you get infected, it lies dormant in your ganglia waiting to be reawakened in case of low immunity, periods etc. It usually spreads only in the upper part of the body, and HSV2 is the one spreading in the lower parts and causing genital herpes.
But there have been cases of HSV1 causing genital herpes. They spread in the nerves in the lower part of your body and infect the lower ganglia. This is not very common.
As you know, the immunity toward HSV1 is not very strong, thus the virus keeps getting reawakened. I may be possible that you have infected his lower part of the body with HSV1, and it may lie dormant in his dorsal root ganglia. Or it may not infect and disappear.
Time will tell.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.