Can HIV be contracted through protected sex?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi

I had sex with someone famous and know for sleeping around. They are a few allegations about them having HIV online. I gave him a hand job and we then had protected sex. The condom didn’t break he cumed in me with the Condom on. When he pulled out I saw semen and the condom intact. We also kissed (lip biting and sucking). Then we had sex again an hour later. We used a condom but I was really dry and we both used saliva on the condom to make me wet a couple of times. Then we continued to have sex with the condom on. He cumed in me with the condom on and when we pulled out I believe the condom was intact. I went to the toilet and went to peee but my vagina was stinging. I guess that might be because I was not wet and we used a condom. The next day
I googled him and found a lot about him having hiv or aids. I texted him if the Condom didn’t break and he said it didn’t. I also went to a clinic and asked for PEP. The doctor said I wasn’t at risk because we used a condom but she still took my bloods and told me to test myself after 3 months. I am really worried and confused and stressed am I at risk? After kissing him my lips were really sore and swollen. But no visible cuts. Could the fact that he put his saliva to make me wet on the condom put me at risk. I couldn’t check the condom to make sure it didn’t rip but when he finished I could see semen hanging in the condom. He mentioned the Condom being intact. I am really worried. If I go to a rapid testing clinic can I be tested at 6 weeks ?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding testing for HIV

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.
I don't think there is a risk of HIV because prima facie it seems the condom was intact. Though saliva may contain the virus but it is not infectious therefore the fact that he used saliva as a lubricant doesn't pose a risk. Hence there is no need for PEP. However, still if you want to get tested there is no harm in that. You may take a anti HIV 1&2 + P24 antigen screening test at 4-6 weeks. This test is very sensitive and can be taken early because it has a short window period of 2-3 weeks unlike 3 months for an antibody based HIV screening test. Even CDC recommend that a negative Anti-HIV 1&2+P24 antigen test is conclusive at 6 weeks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Thanks also I forgot to add I bite my lips (it’s a really bad habit) usually it leaves open scars on my lips. That day 10 hours before the concert. I used foundation on my lips and two lipsticks. Idk if I but my lip that day or not. Is that still a risk if we kissed?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

No. Saliva is not contagious unless he had oral sores or good mixed saliva e.g bleeding gums.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad