Can Epley maneuver help relieve symptoms of vertigo?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor:

I spoke to an ENT md earlier today regarding my vertigo. All day today I feel my dizziness is getting worse especially since it's very windy out. My ear pain seems better. Could the epley maneuver make your balance worse before it gets better. I have bpv in both ears.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Epleys manoeuvre has to be done correctly but still it can cause vertigo initially which has to be settled with medicines. As you are saying you also had ear pain, there must be some other ear problem as well because there is no pain in bppv.
Please tell me do you have ear pain and vertigo together?
For how long are you having these symptoms?
Any hearing difficulty?
Any aggravating or relieving factors for vertigo?
Is the ear pain aggravating on touching pinna?
What medicines have you been taking so far?
Tell me all the information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 10 hours later
Hi Doctor:

Yes my ear hurts when touching on pinna but seems somewhat better. I am on Neomycin ear drops and yes ear feels clogged. I do have some hearing loss for years but now more trouble hearing out of my left year from the infection. I had the manuever on Friday. Yesterday was such a bad day for balance plus nausea. The vertigo comes and goes not everyday; seems worse on windy days. There is burning in the ear also.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
You seem to have otitis externa now and ear is blocked because of the secretions.
Please take an oral antibiotic and anti inflammatory tablet along with neomycin drops for few days.
Avoid epleys for few days till infection subsides.
Take tablet stemetil twice daily and
tablet betahistine 16 mg twice daily for a week.
All the medicines I prescribed are available only on prescription.
Get a pure tone audiometry done to see the type and amount of hearing loss.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Wishing you a speedy recovery
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad